Mark and I sometimes reminisce over the way various tastes and scents hold memories for us––a perfume, a spice, a food. Smelling or tasting them can return us in an instant to our childhoods, to another country, or to an earlier part of our marriage. He assures me that whenever in future years he smells or tastes coconut oil, it will forever remind him of our home now. I laugh, but it’s true. Over the last few years, coconut oil has become a catch-all staple in our home, used in everything from savory or sweet foods to homemade personal care recipes. With the holidays (and all the holiday baking) beginning this week, I’m thrilled to partner with Nature’s Way today to share a quick, flexible holiday recipe for each of you to have on hand, using Nature’s Way Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.
When I say quick and flexible, I mean it. This recipe is easy to whip up for an afternoon treat with the kids, to serve at a holiday party, or even gift to a favorite friend. It only includes 3-6 ingredients, doesn’t require any baking, and is easy to tweak and make your own favorite flavors. My favorite part is it’s made with all whole foods, and without any dairy or gluten for those with special diets. You can even try dipping oranges or berries in it before it cools. I wrote down some favorite variations down the recipe.
DARK CHOCOLATE SEA SALT FUDGE, GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE
1 c. Nature’s Way Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, melted
1 c. cocoa powder
¼ c. honey or maple syrup (if desired, slowly add more to sweeten to taste)
1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
a pinch of flaked sea salt sprinkled on top
- Line a small glass container with parchment paper. (I use a glass food storage container about 5” x 7” or so.)
- Pour melted coconut oil, cocoa powder, honey or maple syrup, and spices into a small mixing bowl.
- Stir until well blended.
- Let the mixture sit and cool a bit to room temperature. It should slightly thicken.
- Pour mixture into parchment-lined dish, and refrigerate for one hour.
- Once firm, remove from the glass dish and chop into small squares. For casual affairs, serve right on the parchment.
- Store in a cool place out of direct light and serve with napkins.
VARIATIONS TO THE RECIPE
Orange Dark Chocolate Fudge, mix 1 tsp orange zest into warm batter
Peppermint Chocolate Fudge, add crushed candy canes to the top instead of seas salt
Maple Cinnamon Chocolate Fudge, use maple syrup and add 1 tsp of cinnamon
Spiced Ginger Chocolate Fudge, mix 1/4 tsp Cardamom and ½ tsp All-Spice into batter, top with chopped candied Ginger
This post is sponsored by Nature’s Way, a brand our family has loved for years. All images and thoughts are my own. Thank you for supporting the businesses that help keep this space afloat.